[VHFcontesting] The First 222Activity Evening in August. Gala Prizes Free Beer.

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Aug 6 11:59:10 EDT 2024

August is usually the start of the Summer tropo season in the NE.  It
pays to pay attention!   Unfortunately, during tonight's 222 activity
period, no great conditions are setting up. I am expecting rain showers
all day and evening.   Iowa, Illinois and Indiana could see some good
condx, but the rest of us are in for a typical evening. I am excited as
there is no T storm activity. I was chased off the air  all weekend due
to rain static and lightning.  That is not much fun.

I will be on a bit before 23:00 UT on or about 222.100 looking for
QSOs.   I am still nursing my mangled finger so that has been slowing me
down. It could not be stitched easily so I have to be very careful with
it.  Of course, when I went to the clinic to get it checked the Doctor
said he thought he could save it, but if not, they would amputate my
finger and use it for bait in the pond located next store. The doctor
added that he heard there were big fish in there. I was rather surprised
as there were six women in the office and all were looking at me and
smiling when I walked in.  (I had called in advance)  I honestly felt
like Rodney Dangerfield. I don't get any respect.   Fortunately, I was
able to keep the finger.  I didn't even have a fishing pole with me, so
it all turned out OK  I guess.

I know that the 222 and Up Contest was this past weekend, but please
make an effort to get on 222 MHz if only for a short while and make some
noise. Activity levels these last two weeks have been very high so lets
try to keep that number up there. Quansheng contacts count too. I wonder
if anyone is working on a Quansheng WAS for 222?

CU this evening.

Dave K1WHS