[VHFcontesting] ZD9GJ 6 Meter Operation Update!

k3sk at buckwalter.co k3sk at buckwalter.co
Wed Aug 21 14:45:29 EDT 2024

Forwarding ---

ZD9GJ Update!
Lance Collister, W7GJ's profile photo
Lance Collister, W7GJ
Aug 12, 2024, 11:59:09 PM (9 days ago)
to Magic Band EME Group, CSVHFS, NEWS, Front Range 6 Meter Group, PNWVHFS, Bernie McClenny, W3UR, jon jones
Good news and bad news.

The BAD news is that there is no possibility of a berth for me on the September 18
sailing of the MV Lance from Cape Town.

HOWEVER, the unbelievably GOOD news I received this afternoon is that there was a
last minute cancellation and a berth opened up on the SA Agulhas II, which is sailing
from Cape Town, South Africa in slightly over 3 weeks from today. So tonight I
purchased last minute airline tickets to fly down there at the end of this month with
all my equipment. I am hoping to be able to operate for about 20 days and score a
berth on the MV Lance to leave Tristan da Cunha at the beginning of October. If I am
unable to leave then, I hope to be able to sail back on the MFV Edinburgh at the end
of October. I am looking forward to visiting Tristan da Cunha, but I really would
like to be able to get home in time to work some rare F2 from W7GJ during November!

I have updated my website with this news and will try to post an EME operating
schedule in the coming weeks. As you can imagine, it is very exciting to finally have
things coming together for this DXpedition, which has been in the works for so long!
This is the first ever EME operation from ZD9 and it also will be the first 6m
contact with ZD9 for many stations around the world! It also is a bit daunting, since
I know the weather down there can be BRUTAL, and I fully expect to have many
challenges trying to keep the station going. And although it was always going to be a
huge financial effort, making all these last minute arrangements in response to
today's news was WAY more expensive than I had planned. But I am hoping to overcome
all these challenges and celebrate my 73rd birthday down in Tristan da Cunha with
lots of 6m contacts!

Please be sure to download the most recent version of WSJT-X IMPROVED so you can be
ready to work me on Q65-60A with Q65 PILEUP on EME or complete with me on TEP using
the new SUPERFOX FT8 mode!

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB, TO7GJ, 3B9GJ)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
page (above)!

de K3SK
Dave Buckwalter
FM07 – Farmville VA