[VHFcontesting] [222Activity] Hello VHFers

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 16 16:15:45 EST 2024

The problem, Randy is that they would cost much more than these 222 MHz
Amp project amps are costing.  These old TV amps use MRF-151G FETs.  I
got the RF decks at no cost and passed along the savings. The additional
parts needed easily added up to $500-$800 and that did not include a
pretty enclosure. The way to go these days is LDMOS and use two devices
(two pallets and a combiner) to get 1500 watts out. I would think a
realistic sell price would be well over  $4K. Ham LDMOS amps seem to
suffer from problems so some serious fault detection and protection has
be be engineered in to the circuits.  Much of the trouble has to do with
parasitic oscillations over a wide freq range. The 160 thru 6 M amps
tend to suffer.  A good design is not simple. Single band VHF amps might
be easier, but they still would be costly in today's world.  W6PQL quit
making turn key amps. He still sells pallets so you can roll ur own.

Dave K1WHS