[VHFcontesting] 222 comments

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Sep 19 18:52:02 EDT 2024

Hi Mike

Well, you could work K1DY, N1BUG. N1JEZ, WZ1V, K1WHS, K1FMS, and K1TEO.
WA1MBA is in FN51 and an over water path so he is in a prime spot as is
WA1NLG.  My only stipulation in providing this system is that the op has
to get on for some of the 222 Nights.  I am building a transverter that
will be phase locked, and a 500 watt amplifier.  It has a 28 MHz IF.
Al, W9KXI has offered to supply a 16 element yagi. I probably have a 75
ft run of 7/8" heliax that I will donate as well.

I have a slightly different view.   In my humble opinion, you have to
stick your neck out in an effort to accomplish something. It is
missionary work. A station on 222 MHz in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia
would be a shot in the arm for hams in the northeast. I need to find
someone who is willing to operate on 222 MHz for just one night a
week.   The 222 MHz band has enjoyed a renaissance in activity by just a
few amateurs getting on the air and making noise on 222.  Terry W8ZN is
saying that he sees a big increase in 222 MHz antenna sales.  I have to
hand it to the diehards in the hinterlands. They get on every tuesday
and the change in the band is remarkable. W5EME. AJ6T, AA9MY, K9MRI,
N1GC in NC, and K7ND and a sizable crew in the PNW have been
instrumental in attracting more activity.  THere are many others. I have
passed along 16 222 MHz solid state amplifiers  to rare states,
including mostly 1500 watt units plus a few 500 watt units. These solid
state amps can make a difference. W0VB is using his in Wyoming and
passing out QSOs on meteor scatter and EME right now. I worked him on
his moon rise. It was an easy contact. There is an article in the
October QST about this amplifier project.

Looking at the equation of how many stations you will work is not the
proper way to analyze this. Rather,  we should be contributing to any
plan that helps VHF activity and alerts the FCC and others that our
bands are being used.  I  would really like to find a warm body with a
beating heart in the Maritimes.  The path to Nova Scotia is over water
to the entire East Coast.  When tropo is present, it is a great place to
be. It is sad that no one is there.  VE1SKY worked some tropo on 144
during the Sunday evening part of the Sept Contest.    Bernie, VE1UT in
Yarmouth was a local here ALL THE TIME.

I will be finishing up the transverter this Fall as winter approaches.
The amplifier is all tested. I have the Bodnar GPS reference oscillator.
I hope we can find a home for it this winter. I can even deliver it to
the New Brunswick border.

73

Dave K1WHS