[VHFcontesting] 222 Nite Summary K1WHS

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Sep 25 09:01:00 EDT 2024

Things were a bit slow on Tuesday night.  Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V summed it
up quite well. He was overloaded with ham radio these last few days. The
Sept VHF Contest, followed by the 222 MHz Sprint and then finishing up
with he 10 GHz Contest that ran all weekend. He had wall to wall
excitement and activity back to back for quite awhile.  Ron actually
quit very early . I am sure he retired to his living room to enjoy a
nice Polish beer rather than chase DX  on another Tuesday night.   I
tried a few skeds but had no success with any of them. K9MRI and I tried
some meteor scatter for 15 minutes. I heard him often, but he only heard
me once.  The same thing happened with K3SK. Meteors did not cooperate
there either. A third try with AA9MY was also a bust.  I did get a
report from AJ6T near Nashville, that he heard me on meteors just fine.
That is the excitement (or lack thereof) of meteor scatter. It sure is a
sporadic medium.

I worked 23 stations including K1ZK who got home at 9 PM after orchestra
practice. Zach plays the French Horn in addition to playing with 222 MHz
radios. I missed trying with WA3EOQ  as he left early and I did not hear
the packrats this time.  I did a fair amount of rag chewing, which is
always fun.  CU all next week.

Dave K1WHS