[VHFcontesting] 6m, 2m, 70cm EME

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Sep 30 09:47:28 EDT 2024

Hello Ev

The ability of the tower mtd preamp to function in todays world is
problematic when you are near the horizon. KA6U has had all sorts of
trouble when near his home in the Tampa area. and that is with a lot of
elevation on his antenna. The bad part is that with digital TV the rfi
sounds like band noise so it can be there and you do not suspect
anything!  KM0T has a 222 setup with two yagis and he cannot hear much
at all. He has a FB TX signal, but cannot make many QSOs due to his
receiver. I suspect TV station RFI. He is looking in to it.  It is just
one of those things that you do not suspect. On 432 I have a home made
cavity in front of my preamp. It has 0,2 dB loss but does have good
selectivity. It is a 4" diameter copper pipe.  I had similar problems on
222 MHz and ended up with a Tommy Henderson cavity preamp made with more
copper plumbing parts!  I was getting hit from a CH11 TV station. It
shows up as a slight increase in background noise and will easily mask
any signals.

The problem with portable setups is that there can be a lack of time.
That makes polarity selection of prime importance on 432. On 222 MHz is
is a good choice as well.  On 144 you can probably live without polarity
selection.   When I worked KB7Q on 432, I was able to hear him only by
moving polarization. K4EME tried working KB7Q in Hawaii, with a much
bigger setup and higher power but was never successful even with KB7Q
able to change polarity. K4EME has a great setup, but is linear pol
only.  If I were doing it, I think I would use two yagis on 432 with 100
watts. An extra 2 dB is still simple but allows you to have fun when
times are not optimum.

Dave