Good Networking is possible in RTTY Contesting..

Ron Stailey, K5DJ Ron-Stailey@easy.com
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:42:20 -0500

Hi All, thanks for all the flowers you have sent about WriteLog/Rttyrites
features.. I have been reading all the networking problems especially the
comments from Tyler at W3LPL had in CQWW RTTY DX Contest. In case anyone
should think that networking is difficult for RTTY contests, it wasn't
at W5WMU where I was, and I haven't heard of anyone having problems with
WriteLog/Rttyrite Networking as yet..

All 5 computers in the station had the entire log online continuously for
48 hours. If a station went down its QSO data was backed up not only on its
own hard disk, but also on the 4 other computers.

Any of the 5 computers could edit ANY QSO in the log at ANY time. Changes
were passed through to the other stations in seconds.

If a station left the network, when it was brought up and joined the
network, it instantly saw ALL the QSOs logged during its absence. All
stations can come in and out of WriteLog/Rttyrites networking at anytime
with out bothering others at all..

When the 80m PC/radio were pressed into service on 10m because of a failed
band filter, 10m QSOs logged on that station merged instantly and correctly
with the 10m QSOs already logged at the 10m position. And the 10m position
was able to jump right back in as soon as the filter was replaced. The
entire change-out consisted simply of running the 10m antenna lines to the
80m station-NO computer adjustments were required.

Packet spots could be received and sent from any of the 5 computers. And
the band map on each computer was populated not only by QSOs logged from
the other positions, but also from the packet cluster.

All 5 computers finished the 48 hour contest with the same score!

If there was ever any doubt about ethernet networking it is gone now. It
worked flawlessly all weekend long.  Rttyrite with Ethernet is positively
the way to go.

If it hadn't been for the Zone-2 not scoring correctly I guess it would have
been a 100% success story..

On top of that, having a band map that works like WriteLog's does is also the
way to go in RTTY contesting..  When a new call comes across packet it goes
to the Band map. All you have to do is click the new call on the band map
and with radio control it takes you to his frq and you get him.  At times I had
a tough time calling CQ because so many new mults to work on the band map.
Getting new mults is the name of the game when your up against a station
like W3LPL. Band Maps are nothing new they have been around for many years.
I would say they are more useful in RTTY contesting than any other mode.
Using the best S/W/networking setup/Band Map/a great station, plus some of
the best Ops I have ever operated with, just may have pulled off the
impossible, if not we did chew a chunk out of their tail feathers..  We
shall see!!

Networking isn't a problem using WriteLog/Rttyrite as I'm sure you will be
even more convinced in the future.. Thanks for all your comments about
WriteLog/Rttyrite's features.  We have a great RTTY contesting S/W, we
just have to let more people know it.. :-)

  73, de Ron K5DJ