[WL-USERS] Rocketport experience

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:03:42 -0500

FWIW:

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to install the Byterunner 8-port PCI card in my Gateway P5-166, 48K RAM computer.  I won't rehash those details again, except to say that the software wouldn't install, even with much discussion and new drivers from tech support.  After talking to the tech rep, he admitted they have had the same problem on RARE occasions, and that they have a "team working on the problem in Taiwan".  He was courteous, and gave me an RMA number.

At that point I ordered the Rocketport Octacable 8-port PCI card with DB-9 connectors via the Web.  Although I selected "UPS second day" shipping, it arrived in LESS THAN 24 HRS!  (From buy.com)

Right out of the box, this was a completely different experience - From the packaging to the documentation to the fact that it worked, the Rocketport is a class act.

1.  The original Byterunner 4-port card was backordered for about 4 weeks.  When it finally came, we sent it back and got the 8-port card in several days. The 8-port Byterunner came with about a 4 page "manual" printed on paper that was so recycled it didn't seem very professional.  The driver software was on a floppy loose in the box with the card.  The card itself wasn't great physically - The metal case around the pins was a little warped such that I had to bend it out slightly to get it to fit.  Worse, the card itself didn't fit into the slot without slight "adjustment" of the metal end that abuts the back of the computer.  Then the software wouldn't install properly and hung the computer requiring endless rebooting to troubleshoot.  Their tech support admitted there is a KNOWN, but RARE problem.

2.  The Rocketport came in less than 24 hrs.  The packaging was 1st class.  It has DB-9 connectors.  It comes with a 184 page, first class manual, complete with plastic pockets to hold 2 floppys.  It has a bootable DOS floppy with diagnostics, so that if you REALLY have problems, at least you can boot and run some diagnostics to see what's wrong (I didn't need this).  They even supplied a static preventer thing - wraps around your wrist and has some copper sticky tape that fastens to ground or the chassis to prevent blowing a chip with static.  It has a warranty card with a few simple marketing questions - besides the warranty, you get a little flashlight thing for returning the card.  The end of the 71-or-so connector that attaches to the card was covered with a rigid plastic protector, and the card fit well into the PCI slot.  Basically, the software installed flawlessly!  The first time around, I undid the self-executable file supplied to my hard drive, as they said that wo!
!
uld be OK.  When Windows was wanting the driver software, and I was trying to browse for the location on my hard drive, I got a Windows error about "msgsrv error" something or other.  After trying twice, I undid the self-executable files to a floppy and Windows was much happier with that - Windows installed the adapter itself, then went through each of the 8 ports flawlessly.
AND THE BEST PART YET - THE CARD WORKS FINE!!!

I think Byterunner must make some fine cards, but I would be leary of the 8-port PCI card.  You could probably save some money and use an ISA card.  There have been some other suggestions made that are probably OK for most also.  BUT, I have to say that the Rocketport 8-port PCI card is a class act and seems to be everything it claims to be.

Sorry for the bandwidth, but thought this might help some!  I first heard about the Rocketports at the WriteLog site - I think Wayne uses a Rocketport ISA card.

"So many ports, so little time...!"  73's and GL - John