[WriteLog] the manual

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 02:22:32 -0000

Yes, a printed manual would be a good thing to have. Making WL available as
a commercial quality product, however,
is a resource limited operation. The consensus in the software publishing
industry appears to be that online/electronic
help files are a higher priority than hardcopy. I buy a lot of software and
I cannot remember the last time a package
I bought came with a printed manual, (MS Office, Quicken, Turbo Tax, Print
Shop, VC++, Visual Basic--all these
packages are making their publishes orders of magnitude more money than WL
is) so I think we're in good
company.

Printing yourself a copy from the help files can be done, but I think you
will disappointed with the result.
The formatting will leave lots of nearly blank pages for the very short help
topics, there is no table of
contents, and there's no good way to figure out what order the pages should
be bound together. And
that's if you happen to succeed at navigating to all the help pages when you
print them out.

I know this makes some of you unhappy. We're using the resources we have (my
time and Ron's) to make the
as many people happy as we know how.

Wayne