[WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup

Michael_Joens@Millipore.com Michael_Joens@Millipore.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:34:59 -0400

No problem. I was just cautious, as I said, in making the fix available to
others in case there had been a problem I'm not aware of.

Michael, K1JE

"Ron Stailey, K5DJ" <k5dj@contesting.com> on 06/21/99 13:35:11

To:   Michael Joens/NA/Millipore
cc:
Subject:  Re: [WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup

  Michael, you may be right. When I checked Waynes msg it had a [WL-USERS]
  in front of the FSK Stop Bit Setup.. I listed it again in case it wasn't
  listed before.. Thanks for keeping me on the right track.. I do forget
  things. hi

   73, de Ron K5DJ
---

> [...]
original
>question, I have changed rigs and I moved FSK output to COM5, with no
>problems to report. Thanks again for the fast support.
>
>Michael, K1JE
>

>"Ron Stailey, K5DJ" <k5dj@contesting.com> on 06/20/99 22:40:02
>
>To:   wl-users@wu3v.net (WriteLog Reflector)
>cc:    (bcc: Michael Joens/NA/Millipore)
>Subject:  Re: [WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup
>

>  The posting for FSK Stop Bit Setup, was posted on the reflector on
>  Jun 5th, sri if some missed it, here it is again...
>
>   73, de Ron K5DJ
>-----------------------------
>From: "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@alum.mit.edu>
>To: <joens@thecia.net>
>Cc: "'K5DJ'" <k5dj@contesting.com>
>Subject: RE: [WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup
>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:55:05 -0000
>
>Please try the following:
>
>(((Michael, K1JE and several others said it was working fine.)))
>
>1. download this:
>
>http://www.contesting.com/writelog/Downloads/rtty924.zip
>
>2. unzip it into your \programs folder. It will replace rttyrite9.exe
>
>3. now try the stop bits.
>
>My results are uncertain. WriteLog does not drive the COM ports directly,
>but depends on proper operation of the Windows device drivers. I tested on
>both Windows NT and on Windows 98 (just one machine of each) and
discovered
>that:
>
>a. the Windows software documentation (SetCommState call if you care)
>clearly says:
>"The use of 5 data bits with 2 stop bits is an invalid combination, as are
>6, 7, or 8 data bits with 1.5 stop bits. "
>
>b. Windows NT behaves per the documentation--a scope shows 22 msec stop
>bits
>with a setting of 1 and 33 with a setting of 1.5. And the driver refuses
>set 2 stop bits--it returns an error.
>
>c. my Windows 98 machine does NOT behave per the documentation. It sends
>ONE
>stop bit for a setting of 1 or 1.5, so I tried 2 and lo and behold the
>driver reported success (huh?) and 1.5 stop bits appeared out the serial
>port.
>
>It appears that Bill Gates and company have as much trouble telling the
>truth in their documentation as he does in depositions.
>
>The code I'm asking you to test, attempts to set 2 stop bits. If that
>fails,
>it tries 1.5. I have no idea how many machine/OS combinations this might
>work on. It works on the NT and 98 machines I have to test with. Please
let
>me know what it does on yours.
>
>The stop bit setting could also affect receive behavior. The driver could
>very well set the UART such that fewer than 2 stop bits (44msec at 45
baud)
>is a framing error. If that happens, then we have an even bigger mess.
>
>Ron: this mod affects folks running one of the following in their "TU
Type"