[WriteLog] Using PC Sound Card for RTTY

Antony J. Heatwole aheatwole@hns.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:04:40 -0400

[I've never used RTTY or even seen it used, so these questions may
be basic to RTTY and not unique to WriteLog.]

1.  I connected the radio's line output to the PC mic input to see
    if I could receive RTTY. I brought up the RTTY and RTTY Receiver
    windows, but I couldn't get anything but extraneous characters
    to be decoded in the RTTY screen. I tried various modes (incidentally,
    what is the most common RTTY mode used?). I also got some windows
    below the main RTTY Receiver that flashed rectangular colors at
    various times. These aren't documented in the manual. What are they
    for? The one on the right looks like a modulation constellation.
    What should it look like for regular RTTY? (I did get a fuzzy circle
    with an ellipse through it. Is this one of those fancier kinds of
    modulation?) I did get wavy lines in the RTTY Receiver window, so
    I think that WriteLog is seeing the audio out from the radio. Any
    suggestions on what I need to do to decode regular RTTY?

2.  I read the description of the Type Ahead window, and it seems pretty
    straight forward. However, I don't see any way to transmit RTTY in
    "real time". Isn't this possible with RTTY (it just holds marking
    between characters)? Does WriteLog support "real time" transmit with
    direct TX/RX control, or is it primarily for RTTY contesting? The
    Type Ahead window description says that it is useful for rag chewing,
    but it seems like this would be pretty awkward.

Thanks,

73, Tony Heatwole, N3FX