[WriteLog] PTT Signal

Kurszewski Chad-WCK005 Chad.Kurszewski@motorola.com
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 11:28:26 -0500

I'm trying to get the station back together and get reacquainted
with Writelog.  I'm having a problem and was hoping someone could
help out.

The PTT hardware signal does not appear to be working in SSB mode.
According to the help file, under the header "SETUP PORTS", under
the point on "DVK Type", it says, "If you choose Multimedia, though,
WriteLog provides the ability to key your transmitter for voice
transmissions. For LPT, WriteLog asserts pin 16 on the line printer
port during voice transmissions."

This doesn't appear to be working for me.  I do have LPT1 selected
for DVK, and DVK Type as Windows sound board.  I know my PTT
interface is working, as it works for CW mode.  I also have
Comm PTT set as NO.  (If you have it set as YES or Sync, it
covers up the fact that PTT doesn't work, for me anyway.)

Second problem:
Speaking of CW mode, what is the intended purpose of the
LPT PTT signal?  It appears to key on and off, with every
dit and dah, just like the keying signal, just like QSK.  I
thought if you want QSK, you would choose the "None", and
set your radio to do full-break in.  "None means you're
using VOX or QSK" according to the help file.  I thought the purpose
of PTT was to key your radio before the CW begins (especially
to bring your amp up ahead of time), then keep it keyed
during the CW message, then immediately drop as soon
as the CW message is done.  The benefit there is that
you don't have clattering relays like QSK and you have
immediate turnaround to RX when the CW is done...no VOX
delay.  It isn't doing this for me.

So, is PTT supposed to key on/off along with the CW keying
signal, or just stay keyed?  Can other people duplicate
this problem?  (Again, you must have COMM PTT set to NO.)

Thanks,
Chad  WE9V