[WriteLog] Which Windows version for Writelog computer?

Laurence 'Mike' Hammer ldh3@cornell.edu
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 15:18:02 -0500

Hi Jerry,

A lot more than just minor things have changed since M$ went past the Win95
barrier.  As someone actively involved in dragging a 1988 database
application into the 21st century, I can assure you that both the memory
model in WinX (95/98/NT/ME) and device access (COMx, LPTR etc) are very
different for DOS apps running in Command Prompt windows than it was under
DOS 6.

The thing that keeps kicking my butt is printing -- since NT networks
handle printing so much differently than DOS and Novell-type networks used
to, just getting our old app to print is a major pain in the behind.  I
could explain some of this at great length but it would probably turn into
a rant -- right now I'm at work trying to make it work while you guys are
all enjoying the 10m contest.  grrrrr...  I'm also in charge of a project
to rewrite this app in Visual FoxPro with a SQL Server back end and
ColdFusion to make the data available via the web, which is a much more
satisfying proposition.

Have fun and rack up the Q's!  I might get on tomorrow if I get this
figured out.

73 de Mike N2VR