[WriteLog] Xmitting RTTY from sound card

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:48:23 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff K1AM" <k1am@home.com>
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 5:33 PM
Subject: [WriteLog] Xmitting RTTY from sound card

> I'm trying to use my sound card to send RTTY into the (phone)
> patch  jack on the FT-1000MP and can't get it to work. If I try to
> xmit RTTY using VOX the xmitter keys and stays on the length of time
> the xmission should last but no tones from the sound card to the
> xmitter. If I use the PKT jack and key with a COM port all is ok so I
> know tones are sent with this setup. I use the PATCH jack for SSB
> xmission and all is ok. I suspect the problem is with the setup and
> that this should work.
> Anyone have thoughts on this? Is anyone using the AF out to
> sound card input and sound card speaker to PATCH jack on the FT-1000MP
> with success?

I setup that way once to show a friend how to do it, but the COM
port/PACKET jack is sure the preferred way to do it.  Your reasoning is
correct - If Writelog is successfully sending tones to the PACKET jack,
then you should be OK with the PATCH input.  Check your microphone
gain - That affects the PATCH input.  Of course, you have to be in USB
or LSB mode (don't press the PKT button!) to use the PATCH input, even
though your using "RTTY".  Sounds like your wiring is OK - has to be
something on the rig.  Your MARK tone spotting freq will be off unless
you change it in the MP menu.

You will be MUCH happier if you use the PKT jack and PKT button, or even
better, FSK keying via the RTTY jack.  Good luck - 73