[WriteLog] W5XD continued

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd@writelog.com
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:27:58 -0000

The fact that the paddles work means the keyer chip and almost
everything around it are working.

The "Timeout WPM" means that WL is not able to "hear" the keyer.

The only explanation I can think of that is consistent with
your report (Timout display, CW from paddles, but not from WL,
and Alt-F9/F10 working) is that one or both of the RS-232 lines
from the keyer back to the PC are open.

One path is for CTS:
U2-pin 9 to U1-pin 11, U1-pin 14 to P11-pin 8

The other path is for CD or DSR:
U2-pin 8 to U1-pin 10, U1-pin 7 to P11-pins 1&6

By default, WL "listens" on CTS and DSR, but it can be configured
with to listen on the CTS/CD pair instead because there is at
least one kind of COMM port that omits the DSR circuit but includes CD.
On a "normal" comm port that supports both, the INI setting has
no effect as the keyer puts the signal on both leads and WL can
listen on either.

[CONFIGURATION]
UseCDnotDSR=YES

You're almost there.