[WriteLog] CW keying not working

Joe Subich, W8IK w8ik@arrl.net
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:21:10 -0500

> When WriteLog is brought up the alert - com port not found -
> comes up which seems strange due to the above.  Go into set-up
> and find the CW com port 1 isn't checked after having checked
> it when last used.  Checking CW com port 1 still doesn't allow
> WriteLog to key the rig.  Isn't the settings saved
> when WriteLog is exited or do I have to do something else?

The symptoms you describe generally mean that some other
application has control of the port.  That's one of the reasons
I DO NOT use COM1 and COM2 for Writelog (or DXBase 2K).  Many
poorly written programs grab control of COM1 and COM2 (some
compilers do that as a matter of course in their program
initialization!) and fail to release the ports properly when
the application exits.

If Writelog finds a port unavailable, it will clear its use
(reset the INI file) and not try to use it the next time
the program starts.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4
       <W8IK@ARRL.NET>