[WriteLog] Has anyone used the Sound Board for Voice Keying??

Dave Rich kg0us@swbell.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:05:40 -0600

Hello my fellow phone contesters,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as far as using the
sound card for voice keying.  I have entered the entire alphabet
phonetically along with the numbers, slash, question mark (as "again"),
and a space as wave files with my Heil HC5 microphone and the windows
sound recorder.  I setup writelog for SSB and placed %c in the F5
memory.  I have entered some callsigns in writelog and pressed F5 and
sure enough it spells out the callsign entered phonetically. The problem
is that it seems like the whole process is spelled too slooowly.  I
think this is due to a little bit of blank spacing on the end of each
wave file that I produced.  Does any one know of a program that I could
use that would allow me to graphically look at the audio spectrum of
each one of my wave files and then allow me to trim out any trailing
blank information?  I figure that this may be easier to do than
re-record all the wave files.  Is there a better way?  I plan on using
the voice keyer in the upcoming ARRL DX Phone contest next weekend.

Thank You,

Dave Rich KG0US
kg0us@swbell.net