[WriteLog] Voice keying and FT1000D

Joe Subich, W8IK w8ik@arrl.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:21:45 -0500

> The FT1000D mic input is 600 ohms.  I think the sound card output
> is 4 or 8 ohms.  Could that be part of the problem?
>
> Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Randy,

One way to tell is to connect a 4 Ohm to 1000 Ohm isolation
transformer between the sound card output and the FT-1000.
Simply substitute it for the 600:600 Ohm transformer recommended
in the WriteLog documentation.  The alternative is a buffer
amplifier (pre-amp) between the sound card and the FT-1000
(and turn off the "boost" in the sound card mic settings).

Almost sounds like the Dell is using the Ensonic chip set
for the sound (aka Soundblaster PCI-128). Even the lowly
old SB-16 works better than the Ensonic chip set!

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4
       <W8IK@ARRL.NET>