[WriteLog] Split Functionality for Com Port

Eric Scace K3NA eric@k3na.org
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:12:22 -0400

   I believe the constraint is that there are only 3 leads in the direction
from the computer to the radio: TXD, RTS, and DTR.  It is a challenge to fit
4 functions on three leads.

   TXD sends data to the radio serial port.  RTS is PTT.  DTR is CW.

   One might think: "Why not use DTR as FSK, too.  After all, the radio
won't be sending CW and FSK simultaneously."  The particular challenge is
the tight timing on the FSK keying.  My understanding is that some serial
port chips and their associated driver software may be a bit sloppy on
timing RTS and DTR, since those are usually changing states only very
occasionally.  Trying to key 45 - 100 bit/s might be a push, depending on
the machine's implementation.  I suspect Wayne and Ron did the 'safe thing'
to put the FSK keyline on the TXD lead -- which, of course, preempts TXD
from being used to run the radio data port.

   Another line of thought is: "Just send FSK when the PTT is keyed and the
radio is transmitting.  Send serial data to the radio when it is not
transmitting."  That could almost work with some external logic to direct
the TXD signal to either the radio's FSK jack or the serial data input pin.
But one can get caught in a situation where WL is partway through
transmitting something to the radio's serial port (e.g., a frequency poll
request) just when the operator wants to send FSK.  WL would have to
introduce a (probably slight) delay in order to finish the transmission to
the radio serial port before sending FSK.

   Which is why most people trying to do everything from one COM port break
down and use AFSK.  Sigh.

-- Eric K3NA