[WriteLog] New WL features and rumors...

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd@writelog.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 02:11:31 -0000

along the lines of this:

I was lead to believe that xyz feature would
be added to WriteLog soon.

Ron and I have a strict policy regarding announcements
of features, enhancements, or new products.
No feature is ever announced or promised before it
is ready to ship to customers, with occassional
exceptions where we announce during beta test
instead of at its completion. We never make any
announcements or promises for features that are
not yet in beta test.

Please don't take this posting as an attempt to
discourage discussion on this reflector about ideas
for new features. I find those discussions useful
and am sure other readers here do. But anything
you read here that seems to indicate a date for
a new feature is an unsubstantiated guess unless
it also says "its in beta test".

I wish the contest logging software market was
big enough to support a development organization
in complete control of all its resources and a
solid marketing plan with a 6 or 12 month road
map for all the features we should implement to
maximize the number of happy customers. The truth
is that we're a couple of guys working part time
and adding features to WL is too far down my
priority list for me to make any predictions
about the future. All I can do is point at our
track record (look at WL's revision history) and
say we hope to be able to continue that level of
commitment into the future. But I can't promise
even that. The only features you can absolutely
count on being there in the future are the ones
that are in the version you have today.

Wayne, W5XD