[WriteLog] RTTY Receive problem

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:30:26 -0500

Writelog has to be the best overall contesting program available, but the
RTTY tuning indicators are not it's stongest point.  Particularly if you are
new to the RTTY mode, you might find it a little challenging at first.

I'll bet that most people were operating RTTY for awhile before they started
using Writelog - Thus they already had some OTHER tuning indicator.  This
might be LEDs on the front of a TCN (eg PK-232, KAM), a DXP38 tuniing
"scope", or even an actual oscilloscope (by far the very best and quickest
way).  Thus I would guess that 99% of the users are not using the Rttyrite
tuning indicator to actually tune in their stations, although I might be
wrong.  Having said that, it's really not difficult to tune a good station
with the indicators available.  I find weak, fluttery stations the most
difficult (true for any indicator method!).

You mentioned other programs "locking on" to a signal making the tuning not
critical.  Writelog/Rttyrite DOES HAVE an "AFC" - do you have that checked?
To me, that was an important addition to Rttyrite - not for "search and
pounce mode" of operating, but for CQ/running a frequency when stations
might be coming back a little off freq in either direction.

I doubt that you can use "other programs" to help you tune your stations
easily - many take control of the soundcard and you will get errors trying
to use them together.  Of course, you don't have to use the soundcard for
your "TNC" - rather you can use the HAL products, PK-232 etc and thus their
tuning displays, or again, the best is a REAL scope, readily available.

W6FFH said:  I never see nice vert. or horiz.
lines in the tuning indicator (scope), only circles and elipses
depending on tuning of the xcvr (FT1000D).

Of course, you don't expect vert or horiz "lines" - elipses are what's
expected ("crossed bananas") - mine are a little skewed counterclockwise.
The main limitation with this display (in my system) is that it lags real
time, slowing tuning.  With a real scope, the lines are sharp and tuning is
instant/realtime.

Be patient, stick with it, and both Writelog and the RTTY mode will be your
friends!
--------
Interesting question - How many "experienced" Writelog users are using the
Rttyrite tuning indicator as their sole tuning information?
--------
WA9ALS - John
jfleming@shelbynet.net
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als