[WriteLog] RTTY Receive problem

Don Hill aa5au@msn.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:45:16 -0500

I don't really agree with John's assessment that the tuning indicators in
WriteLog are not it's strongest point (however, I do agree with
everything else he has to say here and he makes excellent points).
Stand alone, they can be difficult to grasp at first.  But when used
in conjunction with some other kind of indicator such as the RTTY-1
by HAL, it can be seen that WriteLog's RTTY Receiver is excellent.

I don't care too much for the scope tuning indicator but the actual
WriteLog RTTY Receiver indicator is the best I've ever seen.  The
best way to tune stations is to put it in AFC by checking the AFC box.

Then as you tune across a RTTY signal, you will see 4 vertical lines
(2 sets of 2).  Two of the vertical lines never move.  Those are your
mark and space markers.  The other two vertical lines are the receive
mark and space indicators.  Tune the signal so that the two indicator
lines are exactly on top of the marker lines so it looks like you have
only two vertical lines showing on the screen.

Remember that RTTY tones are 2125 and 2295 hz respectively for
170 hz shift so if you are using an outboard audio filter on your rig
then you need to make sure that it is set up to pass those audio
frequencies.  When you tune is a RTTY station, tune is the mark tone
so that the mark tone indicator on the display lines up with the
mark tone marker.  Sometimes you will run across someone running
200 hz shift so the space indicator may not line right up with the
space tone marker on the display but it won't matter because it's
usually close enough.  (The mark tone indicators on are on the left,
the space indicators on the right side of the display).

When I first started using the WriteLog RTTY Receiver, I didn't like
it because I was used to looking at a PK232 display and also a
HAL RTTY-1 external indicator.  I now use my RTTY-1 to tune in the
signal and then use the WriteLog display to put it EXACTLY on
frequency.  That combination works great.

For a test, I turned my RTTY-1 off and tried tuning in some RTTY signals
only with WriteLog's RTTY receiver and scope and found it not too
difficult but I easily understand how someone new to RTTY might
have some troubles at first.  Many of us that have been on RTTY for
years can coarsely tune in a RTTY signal by ear.  Once it's close, the
indicators in WriteLog are easy to use.  But like anything it takes
practice.

Having operated RTTY for 18 years I can honestly say that WriteLog's
RTTY Receiver used conjunction with a HAL RTTY-1 is the best
combination I've ever used.

If you are still having trouble tuning, send me an E-mail and perhaps I
can help determine if perhaps there is a problem with the setup that
is causing WriteLog to not decode (remember WriteLog defaults to
using the Left channel of a stereo soundboard).

73, Don AA5AU