[WriteLog] Update #4 - DXTelnet/WriteLog Networking

Don Hill aa5au@msn.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:15:37 -0500

I've received a lot of replies from people wanting the updated
UDPSEND files.  I've sent a request to Fabrizio to release these
files.  They are very small files and can be E-mailed easily.
UDPSEND.EXE is only 18k.

I'm compiling of list of those individuals that have requested
them and if Fab gives me the permission, I will send them to you.

Before you can get the program running, there are a few things
you need to be prepared for.

1.  You must have the TCP/IP protocol installed on your PC
for the network adapter you are using.

2.  If you don't already have an IP address assigned to each
network adapter you will need to do so.  I understand Win98
can assign IP addresses to your network adapter but I am not
familiar with the process since I use Win95 here.

These are things you might want to figure out before you try to
run UDPSEND.EXE on your PC.  If you already have your PC's
networked then you should be familiar with the workings of the
Network on your PC's.  The biggest concern is assigning an
IP address to each network adapter.  If you are unfamiliar with
this, do some homework and read whatever you can find on it.
I just took a couple of addresses out of a book that I was reading.
They just happen to be Class C addresses.  I used the default
Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 for Class C and it all works fine.

I am, by no means, an expert or even efficient at networking, but
from what I can tell (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it really
doesn't matter what IP address you assign to your network
adapters if they are only connected to your LAN as long as you
assign "proper" IP address and the proper Subnet Mask.  The
problem occurs if your network adapter is somehow connected
to the Internet.

Most of us are using dial up networking to gain access to the
Internet.  In most cases, your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
automatically assigns an IP address to your dial up adapter when
you log on.  This is a separate adapter and a separate IP address
from the one you will be assigning to your network adapter card.

Also, some consideration needs to be taken about how to
protect your adapters from the Internet.  Windows automatically
warned me and I chose to block off access to my network adapters.
If someone on the reflector is more familiar with this, please
educate us on this subject.  If Windows gives you this warning, I
believe it is wise to do so.  It does not affect your dial up network
adapter connection to your ISP.

I don't know that I'll be able to send any files before the ANARTS
RTTY contest this weekend.  I will be testing the network configuration
during the contest to see how stable it is and will report my
observations after the contest.

73, Don AA5AU