[WriteLog] Packet spots

W6FFH@aol.com W6FFH@aol.com
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:56:55 EST

In a message dated 11/1/2000 2:19:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, k1vv@tmlp.com
writes:

<< Don,.. we agree ....it can be very frustrating ....
 But think about it ......  do you really think most contesters would agree
 to go backward .....
 It is like saying we all should be using hand keys for CW .... a noble
 suggestion ..
 But it will never happen ...
 Technology always wins ....  tuned amps .... DVK ...  computer generated CW
 ...Logging   .. etc ...
 73   Whitey   K1VV
 PS .... we all still love you anyway ... even after this suggestion ....

Hi Bob - I absolutely agree, I'm not anti-progress or anti-tech. If I
were, I wouldn't be using WL or computer generated CW or for that
matter, DXtelnet for casual DX'ing or for DXpeditions which is a great
help. It wasn't easy for me to write what I did, guess I got carried
away with my bad experiences in CQ WW. It is something I've
given a lot of thought to though. When progress starts to affect
the overall joy of contesting for the vast majority, and if DXer's start
to wonder if the pile-ups caused by spots make getting in
contests worth it ( I'm assuming here, maybe they don't mind,
but I would think they would in the contest environment where time is
important), maybe that aspect of technology isn't worth it.
Would be nice to get some opinions from the guys on the other side
of the world.

But I ramble...I know it's not going away. At least I got my opinion
out and I feel better, HI

Thanks for hearing me out. I'll get off my spapbox and clear the
reflector for now. 73,

Don  W6FFH
e-mail w6ffh@aol.com