[WriteLog] 80 meter operation

k7wm k7wm@i10net.com
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:46:41 -0000

John, NH6XM, wrote:
>So I just chalk it up to lack of participants on 80m which may be in part
>due to the fact that antennas for 80 are big and lots of folks don't have
>the space to erect such antennas.

I agree with John about lack of participants but not about big antennas.
During the JARTS Contest, we were asked to qsy to 80 by several JA stations
whom we worked with no problem. The antenna is an ole HF2V Butternut
vertical with 8 radials. (4 for 40 and 4 for 80). The antenna is ground
mounted and the top half is almost horizontal due to wind bending. Granted
it ain't the best but it heard and worked those that were there.
Wayne k7wm@i10net.com