[WriteLog] report field compatibility problem during SS

Steve Bookout nj4f@erols.com
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:33:38 -0500

Hello Wayne,

I think you described what I did pretty well.

Normally, in the past, I have always taken one setup and moved it on down
the network.  But, this time, these options got enabled as if they were one
of the other matter-of-fact options, not something which, if done in a
poorly timed manner, would really mess things up.

Normally, being used to this sort of stuff and being on 'your side' of the
Email, this would have stood out as one of those 'don't touch that' type of
thing.

At least I know why now so I can avoid this situation again.

73 de Steve, NR4M

At 02:10 AM 11/7/00 +0000, W. Wright, W5XD wrote:

>I agree with the posting from VE9WH saying the best policy is to set up a WL
>file before the contest and start all your logs from there.
>
>But the conflict reported with the "r" field and the "Operator" field made
>me realize there is a problem with WL especially for new users--its a trap
>of sorts. There are two menu entries on the program that will add a new
>column to the log at any time--including after logging QSOs or after
>connecting to the network. I think its OK if any one networked station adds
>a single column, but if two do it, and they're not the same one, then the
>networking software won't reconnect later.
>
>I'll have to make it impossible to fall into this hole. (but I'm still
>thinking about how to plug the hole without making it impossible to do other
>useful things like add the Operator column after starting the log).
>
>Wayne
>

>--
>WWW:                      http://www.writelog.com/
>Submissions:              writelog@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  writelog-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-writelog@contesting.com

-Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.dx4win.com