[WriteLog] Simple Writelog "Status" enhancement

Skopal, Eugene AE2F (E-mail)" <AE2F@QSL.NET
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:50:44 -0500

Wayne,

I use Writelog to participate in the CQWW contests.  I am a systems
programmer, and I do some interesting "software" things at my station.  I
would like to ask that you add a simple feature to Writelog, that being to
record the "status" information into either a file or into the registry.
This would consist of a timestamp, the RX/TX frequency of each radio, the
desired beam headings for each radio, and possibly a RUN/MULTIPLIER
indication.  You might think of other good things to include that I haven't
considered.

I run Multi/Single and share antennas with the other station (Literally, I
use a C31XR with 3 feedlines).  My entire network is Windows 2000 based.  I
use a rotor control "server" program that runs on a server that has it's COM
ports connected to the rotor controllers.  A window on each operator's PC
allows either operator to control either rotor.  This technique also frees
up COM ports in the "operating" PCs.

Your new Rotor control feature is great, but it is difficult to take
advantage of.  If you recorded the "desired" beam heading in the registry,
my "client" program could poll the registry looking for updates and
translate them into the appropriate control functions.

Secondly, I keep getting burned by out-of-band spots.  As I mentioned in an
earlier note, it would really like the PC to warn me that I am configured to
transmit out of band.  It would be GREAT if Writelog had a feature that
would turn the frequency box next to the entry window RED if you were setup
to transmit outside of the band.

Additionally, it would be great of the out-of-band spots were color coded
(or bordered/boxed in) differently in the band-map.

Lacking that, I can write a program that will poll the "status" information
and flash a warning on the screen that should I transmit, I would be
out-of-band.

Obviously, there are lots of other uses for the status information.  It is
not an elegant, "event" driven interface, but it is one many programmers
would find very easy to interface to using VB or any other language of
choice.

Thanks for your consideration, and keep up the excellent work on your
program.

..Eugene..
AE2F