[WriteLog] Writelog and Japan Radio JST-245 HELP!

W0AH@aol.com W0AH@aol.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:56:49 EST

Here's an update.  I'd apprciate comments and answers to some of the
questions I pose.  Jon's email to me follows my post.
Thanks Jon for checking out your null modem cable with the JST-245.
I don't have a null modem cable so that is a problem.  I'll have to get it or
an adapter at Radio Shack.
This evening, I've done an internet search for the DB25, DB-9, and null modem
pinouts.  I also now understand  the problem with the JST-245 manual RS-232C
cabling instructions.  The manual assumes a DB-25 serial port on the
computer, an old standard that is probably never used on laptops.
Did your JST-245 indicate "REMOTE" when you controlled it with the computer
as the JST-245 manual says it will?
And why did you change Radio> Number of radios to 2?
My intention is also to send CW from the computer.
I think that to control the transceiver frequency/mode/etc. only pin 2
(transmit data), pin 3 (receive data) and signal ground (pin 5 on DB9 and pin
7 on DB-25) are needed.  Or do I need signal ground?
To transmit CW, I think I need to somehow connect pin 20 from DB-25 (DTR)
plus pin 7 from DB-25 (signal ground) to the 4N33 CW circuit ?  And for PTT,
I somehow need to connect pin 4 on the DB-25 (RTS) and pin 7 (signal ground)
to the transceiver PTT jack?  Do those of you who have done this fabricate
your own cable, use a breakout box, or some other method?
Am I correct in thinking I need pin 7 (signal ground) in all the above
connectios or do I instead need pin 1 of the DB-25 (chassis ground)?
Doug W0AH

<<Hi Doug
...I took my serial cable for JST-245D out and
checked for its configuration for you, hi.
Typical Null-Modem cable is made in RED cable and so obvious.   Another
alternative (my case) is to use "regular" modem cable with Null-Modem
adapter (this cable was originally used with KAM+ for Packet).   I think
they are both available at Radio Shack.

PC end (DB9 female, connecting COM port: male)
JST-245 end (DB25 male, connecting RS-232C: female on JRC)
     DB9 female      DB25 male
    pin 1   -   pin 4 & 5
    pin 2   -   pin 2
    pin 3   -   pin 3
    pin 4   -   pin 6
    pin 5   -   pin 7
    pin 6   -   pin 20
    pin 7   -   pin 8
    pin 8   -   pin 8
    pin 9   -   NC

If you are using 25 pin ~ 25 pin, hope you can translate my connection to
your case.   Obviously the cable configuration in JRC's manual is wrong.

I have never done that.   I just brought up WL (10.21K), changed Setup and
click COM1 for Rig > JRC JST-145/245 > AUTO, and changed Radio > Number of
Radios to 2.   Sure enough WL started tracking JST-245's mode and frequency.
I have not try to check PTT on COM port, hope this works too.
73 (and Gud Luck in CQWWCW),   Jon nn5t@arrl.net>>