[WriteLog] RE: NetBEUI?

Hsu, Aaron aaron.hsu@unistudios.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:23:50 -0700

I think you might be confusing NetBEUI with NetBIOS.  NetBEUI is an actual transport protocol that runs seperate of TCP/IP.  NetBIOS can "ride" on top of NetBEUI, or TCP/IP (and, with a little help, IPX/SPX).

The main advantage with NetBEUI is that it's fast and simple, great for small networks.  The main disadvantage is that it's a broadcast based protocol.  A toss-up is that it's non-routeable...good if you don't need to access more than one logical network segment, bad if you do.  If you don't need I-net access, NetBEUI is great for small networks, plus it's native to Windows.

I've heard of a firewall package that uses TCP/IP on the Internet side of the firewall and NetBEUI on the "local" LAN side.  To me, this sounds perfect since, theoretically, data from PC's on the LAN side can never "leak" out to the Internet and hackers should never see anything past the firewall even if they do break-in.  I could be wrong in my accessment though...real hackers are typically a very intelligent breed...  =)

Anyways, I digress.  73!

  - Aaron Hsu, KD6DAE
    [athsu]@unistudios.com
    [kd6dae]@arrl.net