[WriteLog] A couple of questions about the country file

Scot Herrick sherrick@ameritech.net
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:00:41 -0000

Notes below...

CU...Scot, K9JY

mailto:scot@k9jy.com
www.k9jy.com

> Am getting ready for CQWW and have downloaded and processed the
> latest WLCTY.DAT file. In doing so I came up with these two questions.
>
> 1. Is there a way to update the country file in mid-contest without
>    leaving WL, editing the DAT file, converting it, and then going
>    back into WL? CT let you do it by using an "=" in the callsign
>    field equating the callsign in question to a country prefix.

Not that I know of. Anyone?

> 2. In researching this question in the help files I came across a
>    vague reference to the mysterious "C" field in the Exchange Format.
>    I know this topic has come up before, but what in the world does
>    this field do. The help files indicate that it aids in selecting
>    between countries where the callsign is ambiguous. Can someone give
>    an example?

One of the limitations of the CTY file is that different prefixes cannot
belong to different  countries. You have to almost name the callsigns
associated with this country. Take FO as a prefix, for example, and you now
have 2-3 countries that could be associated with FO.

WriteLog does not have this limitation. Instead, when it does find a prefix
associated with multiple countries, you can click on the mysterious 'C'
(Country) field and select which multiplier the QSO should be with.

As a small aside, you can also store messages in the 'C' button and send
them with a mouse click as well, but that's a different feature.