[WriteLog] TS-850 FSK connection?

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:15:52 -0500

Take a look at www.packetradio.com.  You will be abale to find a specific
diagram for the 850.  Radio Shack does carry ONE opto, but I can't remember
which one - the 4N25 or 4N29, I think, but it's only available by catalog
order (not in stores).

I recommend Mouser, who has all the common ones for about 50 cents each.

Now, having said that, recall that I've never been able to make the circuit
shown there key my FT-1000MP, nor have I found a specific individual who
says that they were able to key their MP with this type of simple opto
circuit.  Not only didn't the 4N25 work, neither did the Darlington pairs
4N29 or 4N33 either.  Thus, although that web site has some nice diagrams, I
would want specific confirmation from someone keying their 850 with an opto.
Different rigs require different pull downs to ground, and some even require
different pull downs at different places on the rig, e.g. mic connector vs
accessory connectors on the back!

You can't assume it will work.  OTOH, a simple 2N2222 or 2N3904 circuit WILL
work, although the grounds will not be isolated.

Floyd, if you want, I'll snail mail you an opto tomorrow - just tell me
which one - I bought about 10 of each kind from www.mouser.com, and it looks
like I'm not going to use them.  GL - 73

WA9ALS - John
jfleming@shelbynet.net
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als