[WriteLog] Sinking in

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:25:00 -0500

I've been using a very simple com port PTT interface to key my rig for
various programs, e.g. Digipan, WF1B/RITTY, Hell [and I thought]
Wirtelog with my 1000MP. This circuit is not "isolated", and today I was
experimenting with some 4N25 switching circuits to dress things up a
little.

At one point I had my old com port PTT switch UNPLUGGED, but I had an
RS-232 tester plugged into the com port so I could see what lines were
being asserted.  I hit ALT-K, and imagine my amazement when my rig keyed
and I heard diddles!!  I thought maybe it was RFI somehow keying the
rig, but I FINALLY figured out that WL was keying the rig via the CAT
cable!  Of course I had CommPTT set to YES, but I guess I was thinking
that referred to the designated COM port in Rttyrite.

This realization really makes it easier to travel with a laptop - I
won't need a PTT interface at all, and I won't even need extra ports.
The DB-9 on the laptop will go to the CAT cable, and I'm all set!

DUH - I've only had WL a year or 2 - glad it's finally sinking in!!  ;-)