[WriteLog] Alt-K - Konfusion

George Johnson w1zt@mediaone.net
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:28:24 -0400

I will echo the comments by Steve, N1NB, in my use of WL and the RITTY
combination.  This pattern has been present for me since using RITTY last
March.  I was caught "off guard" when the type ahead buffer suddenly
appeared but soon found out that it was associated with the window focus.

I had to make sure the QSO input 'window' was in focus and (in my case) not
the RITTY window.  Clicking on a call does not shift the focus as Steve
observed.  It sounds like this pattern in true for RTTYrite and MMTTY.

I also get the following patterns that have been observed by others:

1.  The Alt-K buffer does not wrap around and text continues to the right.
Maybe once in a hundred uses and a very long transmission will cause a wrap
around.

2.  There is no transmission until the first character is actually typed.
This applies to the Alt-K condition when the QSO input window is in focus.
This can impair the receiving station in its ability to decode the first
character accurately.

I will try Jorgen's suggestion about the initial focus at startup and see if
that changes anything.  I will use it with RITTY in addition to testing it
with MMTTY.

System info:  AMD 233 MHz, Abit MB, Win98se, WL10.26B, RITTY 4.53.

George .. W1ZT