RV: [WriteLog] Any way to interface via USB or IRda

Pablo - EA4TX ars@ea4tx.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:16:21 +0200

Fabio,

You should buy some Multi Port Serial Adaptor <-> USB. So via USB you can
get several serial ports.

Unfortunately, those devices requery to install a driver for working
properly.

When a company design a TNC or similar device using a RS232 interface, it
can be connected to any PC, iMAC/MAC, microcontroler, ... even running any
O.S.: DOS, Windows, Win98, Win NT, Win 2K, OS/2, Linux, etc.
So it's not necessary to devellope a driver for each computer & OS. The
RS232 is a OPEN and wide solution.

If a company design a TNC with a USB, they must provide a driver for the
computer & OS.

It can be a long and cost investment. How many units must they sell for
recover the R&D and get profit? The HAM market is not so long and mosts Hams
have already a TNC.
So the product will increase the price and it's possible you choose a
competitor product: cheaper and open for a future OS.

So, in my opinion look for a Multi Port Serial Adaptor <-> USB and don't
complain about TNC's or similar devices with a USB interface.

Best regards,

73's de Pablo - EA4TX
|    Pablo GARCIA - EA4TX    |
|      ea4tx@ea4tx.com       |