[WriteLog] File conversion

Jim Brannigan jbrannig@optonline.net
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 17:32:04 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_0FNa36+KKY9EsGucYffowg)

Seymour,
As an old dBase user I can sympathize with you.
WL will do an ASCII export, then import it to dBase, or import the ASCII file to EXCELL and save it as a .DBF file.
To do the last conversion you will have to set your computer calendar to 12/31/00 when you export the EXCELL file as .DBF or dBase will not recognize it (Yea, this is a doozy, but true, ask Bill Gates becuz I don't have a clue as to why this is so.  M/S will not comment on this "feature".)
If you are not comfortable with dBase imports and manipulating the fields, forget it and get LOGIC5.
LOGIC uses visual FoxPro and the commands are very similar to dBase.  As pointed out in another post, Dennis at LOGIC will convert the files for you.

Jim

  The Problem:

  Recently purchased Writelog in time for the CQWW DX CW contest.

  Great software. Surpasses other contest software that I have used.

  Now I need a method to convert any output from Writelog to a dbase III file.

  Background:

  Have been using Dbase III Plus as a logging program long before windows logging software was available.

   Other contest software that I have used always provided a method to convert the output to

  Dbase III. Several dbase files containing literally thousands of records have discouraged me from

  attempting to convert the files to a modern logging program.

  KA5WSS logcon conversion program does convert the ADIF file from Writelog to a dbase file.

  Unfortuneatly Dbase III doesn't recognize it a .DBF file.

  Hope someone out there can come up with a solution.

  73,

  Seymour, K2XF

  K2XF@ARRL.NET

--Boundary_(ID_0FNa36+KKY9EsGucYffowg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Seymour,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>As an old dBase user I can sympathize with
you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>WL will do an ASCII export, then import it to dBase, or
import the ASCII file to EXCELL and save it as a .DBF file.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>To do the last conversion you will have to set your
computer calendar to 12/31/00 when you export the EXCELL file as .DBF or dBase
will not recognize it (Yea, this is a doozy, but true, ask Bill Gates becuz I
don't have a clue as to why this is so.&nbsp; M/S will not comment on this
"feature".)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>If you are not comfortable with dBase imports and
manipulating the fields, forget it and get LOGIC5.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>LOGIC uses visual FoxPro and the commands are very similar
to dBase.&nbsp; As pointed out in another post, Dennis at LOGIC will convert the
files for you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Jim</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>
  <P>The Problem:</P>
  <P>Recently purchased Writelog in time for the CQWW DX CW contest.</P>
  <P>Great software. Surpasses other contest software that I have used.</P>
  <P></P>
  <P>Now I need a method to convert any output from Writelog to a dbase III
  file.</P>
  <P>Background:</P>
  <P>Have been using Dbase III Plus as a logging program long before windows
  logging software was available.</P>
  <P>&nbsp;Other contest software that I have used always provided a method to
  convert the output to </P>
  <P>Dbase III. Several dbase files containing literally thousands of records
  have discouraged me from </P>
  <P>attempting to convert the files to a modern logging program. </P>
  <P></P>
  <P>KA5WSS logcon conversion program does convert the ADIF file from Writelog
  to a dbase file.</P>
  <P>Unfortuneatly Dbase III doesn't recognize it a .DBF file. </P>
  <P>Hope someone out there can come up with a solution.</P>
  <P>73,</P>
  <P>Seymour, K2XF</P>
  <P>K2XF@ARRL.NET</P></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_0FNa36+KKY9EsGucYffowg)--