[WriteLog] I can't stand it anymore - Pro Writelog Comment

Tom Baugh tombaugh@discoverynet.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:46:20 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C188AC.AF63F2C0

DITTO the Below for the most part...=20

It's a good program.. that's why I use it..
It's the best available Modern (windows based) contest software out =
there.
As I tell the guys that work at our company "We all have options in =
life... If you don't like the current situation.. do something about it"

Tom
AE9B
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Carleton Reed=20
  To: writelog@contesting.com=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 1:50 PM
  Subject: Fw: [WriteLog] I can't stand it anymore - Pro Writelog =
Comment

  I agree 100% with all the msgs I read below.  I am a new user of WL. I =
purchased it in November. Im still learning how to use the program. The =
10 meter contest was the very first contest using WL. I have seen so =
many msgs on how the 10 meter module needs work or  how it didnt log in =
the QTH box correctly, or I didnt score the points right or there was a =
problem with the multipliers or reporting.=20

  Well I must have done EVERYTHING right using WL during the 10m =
contest, either that or I must be one of the few that have a version of =
WL that. has NO bugs or problems and I know that is no true. I had =
absolutely NO problems with logging, with the scoring, with entering the =
QTH or multipliers. One note on the QTH..... when working a DX station, =
if they are not in the contest but giving you a contact then their =
number will be 001 or you cant count it. After the contest, WL continued =
to do everything correctly when I created my reports to send off to =
ARRL. I created both reports to email them and paper reports as if I was =
going to mail them. All without a problem.

  Despite all the problems I been reading about on how WL needs work or =
improvements in the 10 meter mudule, on a positive note, WL worked =
perfectly for me. And it makes me feel good to know that Im not the only =
one that feels WL is a very nice program. I agree with all the msgs sent =
to the reflector below from Tom, Dirk, Barry and Richard. Its time to =
start being positive on what WL can do and helping new ones so that they =
dont get discouraged. I have yet to interface my TS-570 with my computer =
to use some of the other features WL has to offer. But when I do, I will =
follow the setup intructions on Scots webpage which hadnt failed me yet.

  Carleton, AA6GZ

  =
---------

  If the threads on the reflector would stick to WL issues without =
beating up on those who write the code and support it, it would be a =
good place to visit. Most of the time there is a nauseating and endless =
debate on peripheral issues, like the merits of supercheck partial or =
having the program fill in states (like it fills in zones in CQWW).

  The bandwidth is unacceptable. I delete 95% of the WL emails each day =
without opening them.

  Tom, K5RC=20

  =

  Dear,

  I have been reading the wishes and other messages about WL on this =
reflector.

  I am a WL user since july and I have run this software without any =
complains in several contests.

  Last weekend I was using WL in the OK DX RTTY contest for several =
hours and also in the 10 m ARRL contest in SSB and CW modes.    I =
switched between the two contests in a second wihtout any errors or =
warnings.=20
  I used WL in 3 modes back and forth , it was a pleasure to use.

  I have updated my software to the 10.29E version .

  I say thanks to the software writers , beta testers and K9JY

  Seasons Greetings,
  73=20

  ON4ADZ=20
  DIRK DESLOOVERE.

  =
--------

  I agree with Richard 100%. Insult or piss off Wayne and he will ignore =

  you. If enough people do it, who knows, he may give it up.

  Here's my real life analogy:
  In the late 80s/early 90s, I was produced and sold kits for a packet=20
  modem I designed, for the Commodore 64 (Digicom64). The first few=20
  years (I call it the "first wave") were fun, getting a lot of positive =

  feedback, and I even made a little money (less than $10/kit, =
actually).=20
  Eventually the first wave ended, and the second wave began. It=20
  included guys who never built anything before, but were too cheap to=20
  buy it from me pre-assembled.  Some of the PC boards (approx 3x5=20
  inches with several ICs and other small parts) returned to me looked=20
  like they were assembled using a blowtorch or 200 W Weller gun.  A=20
  few I could handle. At some point, it became too time consuming and=20
  frustrating, and I just said "I don't need this. I have a life and =
real job,"=20
  and that was it for me.

  Let's not do this to Wayne.
  73,
  Barry W2UP

  On 19 Dec 2001 Richard Thorne wrote:

  > I can't take it any more.
  >=20
  > Writelog is a great program, has good support and continues to =
improve.
  > Did anyone see the posting from Ron about 10.29 being released which
  > address's several of the issues that have been discussed on this
  > reflector?
  >=20
  > These guys have real jobs to make a living and write/distribute WL =
in
  > their spare time.
  >=20
  > How many of you have purchased other programs (non-ham radio =
related)
  > and had compatibility problems with the video card or sound card ect
  > ect.  Hey its part of having a computer.
  >=20
  > What I can't stand, and I mean can't stand is the following type of
  > post:
  >=20
  >     ' I can't get  xxxx to work, it should, the author should have
  > thought of this before, he needs to fix it now'
  >=20
  >     ' The documentation stinks I can't even print it out'
  >=20
  >     ' This feature would be a piece of cake to code, where's Wayne?'
  >=20
  > ect, ect, ect
  >=20
  > This reflector is a support group and a very good one.  If you can't
  > find it in the manual or the archives ask your questions here, 9 =
times
  > out of 10 you'll get a decent answer.  The 1 out of 10 is probably a
  > hardware issue on your pc and no one here on the reflector will be =
able
  > to help you.
  >=20
  > But please stop the posts about the author needs to this or that and =
it
  > needs to be like ct or tr or na or....  Hey I was a CT and NA user
  > before Writelog.  But everything is going to windows, dos is on its =
way
  > out if not all ready gone.  Writelog is doing a very good job and I
  > think a little support for Wayne and Ron would go a lot farther than
  > complaining that it doesn't do this or that.
  >=20
  > If you have a problem ask your question here.  If you have an idea =
  > make the program better post it here.  But stop the complaining.  If =
you
  > don't like it use something else.  I for one am going to sign up for
  > another year of releases and continue to support the program.
  >=20
  > THANKS to Wayne and Ron for writing and supporting a great program.
> [...]

          =20

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C188AC.AF63F2C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>DITTO the Below for the most part... =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's a good program.. that's why I use=20
it..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's the best available Modern (windows =
based)=20
contest software out there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I tell the guys that work at our =
company "We all=20
have options in life... If you don't like the current situation.. do =
something=20
about it"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>AE9B</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcarleton@lemoorenet.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:carleton@lemoorenet.com">Carleton Reed</A> </DIV>
title=3Dwritelog@contesting.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:writelog@contesting.com">writelog@contesting.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, December 19, =
2001 1:50=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Fw: [WriteLog] I can't =
stand it=20
  anymore - Pro Writelog Comment</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I agree 100% with&nbsp;all the msgs&nbsp;I read =
below.&nbsp;=20
  I am a new user of WL. I purchased it in November. Im still learning =
how to=20
  use the program. The 10 meter contest was the very first contest using =
WL. I=20
  have seen&nbsp;so many msgs on how the 10 meter module needs=20
  work&nbsp;or&nbsp; how it didnt log in the QTH box correctly, or I =
didnt score=20
  the points right or there was a problem with the multipliers or =
reporting.=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well&nbsp;I must have done EVERYTHING =
right&nbsp;using WL=20
  during the 10m contest, either that or I must be one of the few that =
have a=20
  version of WL that. has NO bugs or problems and I know that is no =
true. I had=20
  absolutely NO problems with logging, with the scoring, with entering =
the QTH=20
  or multipliers. One note on the QTH..... when working a DX station, if =
they=20
  are not&nbsp;in the contest but giving you a contact then their number =
will be=20
  001 or you cant count it. After the contest, WL continued to do =
everything=20
  correctly when I created my reports to send off to ARRL. I created =
both=20
  reports to email them and paper reports as if I was going to mail =
them. All=20
  without a problem.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Despite all the problems I been reading about on =
how WL=20
  needs work or improvements in the 10 meter mudule, on a positive note, =
WL=20
  worked perfectly for me. And it makes me feel good to know that Im not =
the=20
  only one that feels WL is a very nice program. I agree with all the =
msgs sent=20
  to the reflector below from Tom, Dirk, Barry and Richard. Its time to =
start=20
  being positive on what WL can do and helping new ones so that they =
dont get=20
  discouraged. I have yet to interface my TS-570 with my computer to use =
some of=20
  the other features WL has to offer. But when I do, I will follow the =
setup=20
  intructions on Scots webpage which hadnt failed me yet.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Carleton, AA6GZ</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"=20
  =
align=3Dcenter>----------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 =

  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">If the threads on the reflector would stick to WL =
issues=20
  without beating up on those who write the code and support it, it =
would be a=20
  good place to visit. Most of the time there is a nauseating and =
endless debate=20
  on peripheral issues, like the merits of supercheck partial or having =
the=20
  program fill in states (like it fills in zones in CQWW).<BR><BR>The =
bandwidth=20
  is unacceptable. I delete 95% of the WL emails each day without =
opening=20
  them.<BR><BR>Tom, K5RC</FONT> </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT=20
  =
size=3D2>----------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dear,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I have been reading the wishes=20
  and&nbsp;other&nbsp;messages about WL&nbsp;on this =
reflector.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I am a WL user since july and&nbsp;I have run =
this=20
  software without any complains in several contests.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Last weekend I was using WL in the OK DX RTTY =
contest=20
  for several hours and also in the 10 m ARRL contest in SSB and CW=20
  modes.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I switched between the two contests in a =
second=20
  wihtout any errors or warnings. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I used WL in 3 modes back and forth , it was a =
pleasure=20
  to use.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I have updated my software to the 10.29E =
version=20
  .</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I say thanks to =
the&nbsp;software&nbsp;writers&nbsp;,=20
  beta testers and K9JY</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Seasons Greetings,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>73 </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>ON4ADZ </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>DIRK DESLOOVERE.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV=20
  =
align=3Dcenter>----------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I agree with Richard 100%. Insult or piss off Wayne and he will =
ignore=20
  <BR>you. If enough people do it, who knows, he may give it =
up.<BR><BR>Here's=20
  my real life analogy:<BR>In the late 80s/early 90s, I was produced and =
sold=20
  kits for a packet <BR>modem I designed, for the Commodore 64 =
(Digicom64). The=20
  first few <BR>years (I call it the "first wave") were fun, getting a =
lot of=20
  positive <BR>feedback, and I even made a little money (less than =
$10/kit,=20
  actually). <BR>Eventually the first wave ended, and the second wave =
began. It=20
  <BR>included guys who never built anything before, but were too cheap =
to=20
  <BR>buy it from me pre-assembled.&nbsp; Some of the PC boards (approx =
3x5=20
  <BR>inches with several ICs and other small parts) returned to me =
looked=20
  <BR>like they were assembled using a blowtorch or 200 W Weller =
gun.&nbsp; A=20
  <BR>few I could handle. At some point, it became too time consuming =
and=20
  <BR>frustrating, and I just said "I don't need this. I have a life and =
real=20
  job," <BR>and that was it for me.<BR><BR>Let's not do this to=20
  Wayne.<BR>73,<BR>Barry W2UP<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>On 19 Dec 2001 Richard =
Thorne=20
  wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I can't take it any more.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Writelog =
is a=20
  great program, has good support and continues to improve.<BR>&gt; Did =
anyone=20
  see the posting from Ron about 10.29 being released which<BR>&gt; =
address's=20
  several of the issues that have been discussed on this<BR>&gt;=20
  reflector?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; These guys have real jobs to make a living =
and=20
  write/distribute WL in<BR>&gt; their spare time.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; How =
many of=20
  you have purchased other programs (non-ham radio related)<BR>&gt; and =
had=20
  compatibility problems with the video card or sound card ect<BR>&gt;=20
  ect.&nbsp; Hey its part of having a computer.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; What I =
can't=20
  stand, and I mean can't stand is the following type of<BR>&gt; =
post:<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' I can't get&nbsp; xxxx to work, it =
should,=20
  the author should have<BR>&gt; thought of this before, he needs to fix =
it=20
  now'<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' The documentation =
stinks I=20
  can't even print it out'<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' =
This=20
  feature would be a piece of cake to code, where's Wayne?'<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
  ect, ect, ect<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; This reflector is a support group and a =
very=20
  good one.&nbsp; If you can't<BR>&gt; find it in the manual or the =
archives ask=20
  your questions here, 9 times<BR>&gt; out of 10 you'll get a decent=20
  answer.&nbsp; The 1 out of 10 is probably a<BR>&gt; hardware issue on =
your pc=20
  and no one here on the reflector will be able<BR>&gt; to help =
you.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; But please stop the posts about the author needs to this or =
that and=20
  it<BR>&gt; needs to be like ct or tr or na or....&nbsp; Hey I was a CT =
and NA=20
  user<BR>&gt; before Writelog.&nbsp; But everything is going to =
windows, dos is=20
  on its way<BR>&gt; out if not all ready gone.&nbsp; Writelog is doing =
a very=20
  good job and I<BR>&gt; think a little support for Wayne and Ron would =
go a lot=20
  farther than<BR>&gt; complaining that it doesn't do this or =
that.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; If you have a problem ask your question here.&nbsp; If you =
have an=20
  idea to<BR>&gt; make the program better post it here.&nbsp; But stop =
the=20
  complaining.&nbsp; If you<BR>&gt; don't like it use something =
else.&nbsp; I=20
  for one am going to sign up for<BR>&gt; another year of releases and =
continue=20
  to support the program.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; THANKS to Wayne and Ron for =
writing=20
  and supporting a great program.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; --<BR>&gt; =
Richard=20
  Thorne - N5ZC<BR>&gt; Amarillo, TX<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
  Kutner,=20
  =
W2UP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;=20
  Internet: <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:w2up@mindspring.com">w2up@mindspring.com</A><BR>Newtown,=20
  =
PA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  Frankford Radio =
Club<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  <BR><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C188AC.AF63F2C0--