[WriteLog] Serial Port CW - Choppy CW?

John Shaw ZL1BYZ jnshaw@xtra.co.nz
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:39:57 +1300

For my part I have seen it stated that CW from a LPT port should have
better timing than a serial port.  I have used LPT & COM from DOS on a 486
to win95 on a p150 with no problems.
Note though that choppy CW is sometimes not the poor function of the CPU or
and software doing the keying.  In fact it is the radio that is at fault.
So for this reason an outboard keyer will not always be the answer.  Good
keyers/programs have features to compensate for this radio error.  I
haven't visited this with WriteLog as I haven't had any bad comments.