[WriteLog] Problem with 10.29 / IC 746

N1LN n1ln@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 07:37:13 -0600

Merry Christmas and good morning to all,

As I am up before the rest of the family this Christmas morning, I thought I
would take the opportunity to
send along a WL 10.29 question.

Yesterday I upgraded from 10.28 to 10.29 on Rig #2 / Computer #2.  The
upgrade went well - but......
get ready for this one.  I am having a problem using LPT1 to send CW.... but
not always - and only
on Rig #2 (IC-746).   Here are the specifics.

Computer:  Laptop / Pentium 166 / 96 meg ram / Win98

Rig 2 - IC-746 has two key inputs:
    > front panel - uses keyer if selected via menu selection
    > back panel - bypasses keyer logic for computer input

Problem:  When plugged into the rear input the CW sputters and is VERY
choppy. (NOT USEABLE)

What I have tried: (all with version 10.29 - all with Computer #2)

    > plug computer into the front input - turn keyer off -    WORKS FINE
    > plug computer into Rig 1 (FT1000MP)  both front/back inputs - WORKS
FINE
    > plug a keyer into rear of IC-746 - works fine
    > use Y cable to rear of IC-746 (one leg keyer, one leg computer)  -
KEYER FINE / COMPUTER
    KEYS CHOPPY.
    > use Y cable to front jack on IC-746 (one leg to keyer, one leg to
computer) - ALL WORKS FINE
    > use different keying cable from FT1000MP plugged into rear of IC-746 -
CHOPPY CW

What I tried using version 10.28 from Computer #1.

    > plug computer #1 into rear input of IC-746 - WORKS FINE
    > plug computer #1 into front input of IC-746 - WORKS FINE

Took drastic measures -

    > totally blew away WriteLog on Computer #2
    > reloaded everything from scratch - UP TO version 10.28

    > WORKS FINE ON BOTH RADIOS, and.....FRONT/BACK INPUT TO IC-746.

Any suggestions?   Has anyone else seen this or similar problems?

Could this in some way be related / associated to the Pin 1 modification?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Bruce - N1LN