[WriteLog] Choppy CW - real cause?

Barry N1EU n1eu@hotmail.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:47:46 -0500

Perhaps I wasn't paying attention before, but it seems that the choppy cw
is, in fact, worse than ever.  Saturday night during Stew Perry, I noticed
stuttering/shortening of "dahs" about ten times.  This despite the fact that
I've gone through and cleaned out all unnessary W98SE tasks, upgraded to a
faster cpu (K6-2+/550) and more RAM (384MB).

I did a little experiment to see if I could reproduce the choppy cw by
intensively loading down the cpu while sending cw.  I ran the following and
achieved 100% processor usage and 0K Free memory :

- 5 instances of system monitor with 1 sec refresh and logging
- 3 DXTelnet sessions and running sh/fdx/100 during cw xmsn
- continuously record WAV file with compression
- play long cw message

The cw was played flawlessly through LPT1.

This tends to make me think that the choppy cw is being caused by an
internal (asynchronous) Writelog process, rather than an external resource
limitation (cpu, RAM, etc).  I would hope that the offending WL process
could be identified and delayed until the cw message completes.  I'm sure
Wayne could comment more intelligently on this.  Upgrading cpu's/RAM is
sound advice, but now I'm skeptical that it will correct the choppy cw.

73 & H2K2,
Barry  N1EU
www.albany.net/~bg

P.S. Can anyone else consistently reproduce the choppy cw?