[WriteLog] Creating a Multi-Port Serial/Parallel "Driver" Card

Eugene Skopal AE2F@QSL.NET
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:14:52 -0500

Most of us know that adding serial ports to a PC in an expensive and often
frustrating experience.  Adding serial ports to a Laptop for DXpedition is
even worse.  Also, there are no simple solutions for driving
DuneStar/ICE/SixPac type switches from a PC.

I am considering creating an external multi-port serial/parallel module, in
the $100-$200 range, that would connect to a Windows 98/ME/2000 computer's
parallel port and provide 4 serial ports (i.e. LPT1 becomes COM1-COM4).

Alternatively, it could be connected to a serial port and provide 4 serial
ports in its place.  (i.e. COM1 becomes COM1-COM4).

Beyond that, a daughter board, would allow you to add a mix of up to 4 more
serial or parallel ports.  The parallel ports would including high (+12v) OR
low (ground) drivers (for Dunestar/SixPac switches).

Several questions:

1)  Is this of interest to my fellow WriteLog users?

2)  Would anyone like to help with this?

3)  Would it be important for the LPT version to continue to support a
printer connected to the port?  What if it increased the cost by $20.  What
if it takes twice as long to create the module?

4)  How useful is the serial version?  How useful is the parallel version?
How about a USB version?

5)  Should it support other operating systems (Windows 95/NT)?  Even if it
doubles the cost?

6)  What kind of connectors should be used.  I prefer to use RJ45 (modular
Ethernet) connectors and RJ45-DB9 adapters for serial connections.  Would
DB9's be better.  DINs?  Mini-Dins (Mouse/Keyboard connectors)?

7)  How important is shielding?  What if it increases the cost by $40?

8)  Should there be more versions of the module.  Say 2 serial/2 parallel.
Should there be fewer -- 4 serial / 4 parallel or 6 serial / 2 parallel.
Should any combination be available?  Even if it increases the cost by $5 a
port?

9)  Should the serial ports support TTL signaling?  This allows you to talk
to a number of rigs (Kenwood/Icom) without an adapter.

Please respond to AE2F@QSL.NET

Thanks,

..Eugene..
AE2F