[WriteLog] W5XD Keyer

Jerry Pixton jpixton@shentel.net
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:48:10 +0000

Hi all,

As long as this was posted, let me throw in my questions that I tried to
post two before the cw contest. I also built the keyer intending to use it
during the cw contest and did not put in the cw speed pot.

What seems to not be working is the ability of Writelog to command PTT on
the rig interface. Under CW PTT Setup, I select "Command rig on COM port"
and on Port Setup I have both CW and Rig selected on Com1 for the FT1000mp.
The rig does go to transmit on the first character but then drops the PTT
on the first dot or dash. The sidetone continues on for the message. I had
to disconnect the keyer and go back to using DTR for keying and RTS for PTT
during the test.

This was using both version 10.23F and 10.24F and it also occurs when using
"PC generates cw". PTT is commanded on the rig interface fine under ssb or
rtty modes.

I have been playing here with the keyer this afternoon very much hit and
miss in checking the keyer out (does any one have a good testing approach
to see what is working and what is not???)

When I place switch S1 in one position (away from the PIC) I get cw keying
on the left port, P1, and when I put the switch in the other direction I
get CW keying on right port P2 but then the rig command PTT stays up??????
How is this switch supposed to work??

So at the Keyer end

1. CW Left works
2. Rig polling and frequency tracking works between P11 and P10 so the CAT
interface seems ok
3. I get Antenna Relay BCD code on P13 Left LPT port

I have not tested the audio headset switching so I don't know yet if the
Audio R or Audio L functions are working. I have not tried the paddle
inputs yet either.

I did not install the speed pot, R11 nor the sidetone transistor Q1 so I
guess pins 3 and 23 of MC68HC705P, U2 are floating. Do I need to put them
in any way??

At 09:58 AM 2/25/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Have built the keyer, but did not put the CW Speed Pot. Question is the pot
>necessary for operation.?
>Also did not hook up anything to the "pbck or rec" Everything else is
>installed and has been checked by
>A second party. The only test instrument that I have is dvm and vom. There
>is activity at the Xtal terminals,
>But do not know if it is the correct freq or not. I get keying at the input
>of U2 the 68hc705p. There is no output
>>From this chip. Anyone have any idea's on anything to check or on what is
>bad. My next thoughts is to get
>Another 68hc705p to see if the chip is defective.
>
>73 Doug/K4QO   k4qo@mindspring.com
>

>--
>WWW:                      http://www.writelog.com/
>Submissions:              writelog@contesting.com