[WriteLog] Multi-port question

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:38:25 -0500

> I'm building up a new computer, and was wondering if anyone has experience
> with the Comtrol RocketPort USB 4-port Serial Hub?  I'm assuming a USB hub
> is the preferable solution for multi-port capability.  Is there any
downside
> to using the hub - I've heard of some problems running modems, etc. off a
> hub?

As I've said before, it just depends on what you want to do and how.  I've
never heard of a USB-serial adapter that functions TOTALLY like a native
onboard serial port that came on the machine.  One issue is doing 5-bit
Baudot RTTY - most, if not all, won't do that, but the native ports will.

That's not the only issue, however.  I know of at least 2 adapters that
won't function for reading freq/mode from the 1000MP - The Targus
multifunction adapter and the D-Link USB-serial "cable".  However, the
Belkin line and the Connect Tech White Heat unit work well with rig control.

The only completely safe thing to do is borrow one and try it for what you
are considering.  Others can comment, but something like the Byterunner ISA
4-port card is a more conservative, but might be a safer option.  I also
have the Rocketport 8-port PCI card - It won't do 5-bit code, and it won't
work with my IC-706, but it does work fine with the PK-232, the DXP-38, and
the 1000MP!

GOOD LUCK - It's not that easy...