[WriteLog] USB ports

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:46:26 -0500

Jim, I don't know if any particular USB serial adapter will do CW with
Writelog or not.  However, please be careful of any posts you receive
that say something like "Such-and-such USB serial adapter works fine for
me" or "Such-and-such works fine with my 1000MP".  You need a rec from
someone doing EXACTLY what you want to do.

Several of us have tried SEVERAL USB serial adapters with several rigs
and software.  THERE'S NO CONSENSUS - except that you simply have to try
them with your configuration!!

1.  You should assume they can't send FSK via the TD pin of the com
port.  This has been tested by quite a few of us now.  Rocketport, in
particular, advertises that they do 7- and 8-bit, but not 5-bit.  At
least Rocketport has a fair amount of data about their product
available - The others are harder to figure out on the Internet.

2.  The Targus and D-Link adapters wouldn't read an MP, but the Belkin
and White Heat products did.

3.  The White Heat (Connect Tech) also worked with the Icom CT-17
interface to read the IC-706MKIIG, and it worked properly to control the
DXP-38.

YMMV, but be careful!  I would strive not to purchase until you find the
SPECIFIC rec you're looking for!  Even if someone hooked up a particular
USB serial adapter to one of the RS-232 testers (lite box) and reported
seeing something like CW on the DTR or RTS ports, or the LPT port in the
case of a multi-function adapter like the Targus, I would be wary that
something could still be amiss with the timing or other factor!

The White Heat would send FSK under some conditions, but not others!

GOOD LUCK - Let us know what works when you figure it out!  73

John - VP5RY - VP5/WA9ALS - WA9ALS

VP5 photos:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/vp5photos.htm
     email:  jfleming@shelbynet.net
  homepage:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als (NEW - DX Telnet Setup page!)