[WriteLog] SO2R contesting question

AD6E@aol.com AD6E@aol.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:36:14 EDT

Frank,

Check out http://www.k2kw.com for info on how to use verticals. The issue
isn't really the band, its ground loss. thats why verticals are poor on the
ground, a little better on the roof, and hugely better sitting on the beach.
I was part of the 4M7X group and I know first hand how good verticals can be
if installed on a salt marsh. From the reports I've heard, our signal on
10meters was just as loud as the 6/6/6 stations even with our simple
verticals.

For SO2R, a roof mounted vertical can be an excellent 2nd radio antenna, but
don't expect it to be as good as a small yagi... especially from Brooklyn  ;-)

73, Al  AD6E