[WriteLog] More COM Ports

Jim Kinser n0aj@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:10:46 -0500

Depends on Motherboard and operating system.  If you have expansion slots
for ISA-bus and/or PCI-bus, then you can find some good serial/parallel
cards at http://www.byterunner.com .  It seems like you can never have
enough ports.  I bought a 4 Serial/1Parallel port PCI-bus card from this
online store, and have been very pleased with how well it installed and
works.  I am running a 300 MHZ Pentium II with Windows 98.  You just plug
the PCI-bus card into one of the expansion slots and the system does the
rest.  If you have only ISA slots then you have a few other things to set
up.  I now have 8 COM Ports and 2 LPT Ports.  I use the extra ports for
various devices, mostly ham radio related (TNC's, CW keying, etc.).  By the
way, it's nice to have the additional LPT port as well, so don't hesitate
to get at least one of those on the card as well.
GL
es 73
Jim N0AJ