[WriteLog] Re: UBN DJ7AA SOSB20H

AD6E@aol.com AD6E@aol.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:45:11 EDT

A little understanding may help.

I don't claim any particular knowledge of this particular contest, but I
check logs for CQP and I've talked to several others who do log checking for
other contests (including CQ). We tend to do things in a similar manner,
although the details differ a bit:

No one gets a "NIL" unless the other log was submitted, and the log doesn't
have you listed for that band/mode.  If the other log was not submitted, your
QSO is accepted. Thus, the many casual contesters you contact count. If the
other guy busted your call, the log checking software can figure that out so
you don't get dinged.

A unique call is not a bad call. You will get credit for any QSO with a
casual op who gets on and makes only one QSO ... you. However, you should
expect some scrutiny. Unique calls are checked to see if they might be a
busted call. This is not always easy or an exact science. However, If you
work me as AB6E (that happens too often) then you'll get dinged for a "BAD"
call. Unique calls are based on ALL logs received.

The worst thing you can do is work someone, then delete them from your log
because you think there may be an error. It doesn't hurt you, but the other
guy gets a NIL. If a dupe calls you it probably means you're NOT in his log
for one reason or another. To avoid the dredded NIL, work the guy again. Most
log checking software is smart enough to figure this out and you won't get a
penalty. If you argue the point, he goes away and you get the NIL.

73, Al  AD6E