[WriteLog] [faunt@panix.com: Uniques, the greater impact, and club competitions]

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wf1b-rtty@wf1b.com, digital-dx@mla.nifty.ne.jp, writelog@contesting.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:07:15 -0400 (EDT)

This discussion is going on in two disjoint groups.  I've repeated
what I said, and set a reply-to: for all three mailing lists.
I hope no one objects.

Date: 20 Jun 2001 19:53:31 -0400
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
To: wf1b-rtty@wf1b.com
Subject: Uniques, the greater impact, and club competitions

No one has mentioned here the impact on DX stations competing.

If a station is even fairly common DX, like P4, if there's a uncommon
opening, then a LOT of those contacts could be people who are willing
to give the contest exchange in order to get the new one.  The side
effect is that the DX station is less likely to stay on a band where
the opening is, because if all (or many) of those uniques are
disallowed, then they're wasted energy.

Personally, I'm in favor of lenient checking, BUT I'm mostly competing
with myself, for fun and DX.  I'm not very competitive, in either
sense of the word, but doing it by the rules, whatever they may be, is
part of the game I'm in.

And that leads to another issue:  There are club competitions for a
number of contests where contacts on BOTH modes count for the club.
At least one, WPX, has a RTTY equivalent, that doesn't count.  I think
it would be cool if we could get included.  I think a movement on the
part of the people here might be able to make that happen.

(I could be wrong: notice all the disclaimers).

73, doug