[WriteLog] WriteLog Issues w/ARRL DX Contest

Eric Rosenberg wd3q@erols.com
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:48:17 -0800

Using WL with my Ten Tec Omni-6+ this weekend for the ARRL DX
contest, I ran into some interesting problems. I'm hoping they
were a result of pilot error, but one never knows!  My computer
is a Gateway P3/550 with a 19" HP monitor.  I did not use packet.

1. changing bands or split freq. cleared the filter settings
on the radio.  My guess is that WL is sending an "all clear"
 command instead of merely changing the frequency.

2.  Being a rare mult (DC), I marched up and down the bands with
lots of folks.  I want to, but couldn't find a way to go back
to the freq of the previous contact (i.e., go back to where I
just was or started from).  F12 sent me to a specific 20m freq.
-- I don't know how that freq. was set, though.

3. The monitor wasn't in a good position. It was too high. With
(new for this contest, progressive) bifocals, I wanted to put
the inportant information at the bottom of the screen.  I had
the beam heading on the left bottom corner, check call (I think
that's the name) in the right bottom corner and theactive log
window in tehcenter. I wanted to put the super check partial
underneath the active log window, but even though I could make
it the correct sizze, I couldn't get it to stay.  Was I doing
something wrong?

4. Finally, the split freq. window always put itself in teh middle
of the screen. I wanted to move it down lower on the screen when
I called for it, but it would always come up in the middle of
the screen.  What's the trick.

Of course, there were other nits (like keeping other windows
up when I was in the active window). but I suspect I'll have
to go back and look at the screen snaps that were posted here
and I've collected over the last couple of months.

Inteh end, WL -- as always -- worked well.  Now if I could only
get the rest of my station to perform as well :-)

73,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC