[WriteLog] RTTY Sprint

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:42:22 -0500

For those who haven't done the Sprint before, what makes it
interesting is the QSY rule. Please read it and read it again.

Related to that is the protocol for the exchange. The way to know if
someone will be relinquishing the freq is based on where the call
appears. For example, if K7WM calls CQ Sprint and I answer him,
he replies to me:
W2UP K7WM 001 OR WAYNE
I then reply:
K7WM 001 PA BARRY W2UP

The rules call for both callsigns to be part of the exchange. The first
line above indicates that K7WM will be relinquishing the frequency,
as the rules state that after soliciting a QSO by CQ (or other
means) he must QSY. By me signing my callsign at the end of the
QSO, this indicates the frequency is now mine, and anyone tuning
by is invited to call (and hoepfully does!) If I don't get an immediate
caller, I may call CQ on this freq, or QSY for S & P, at my option.

The way to build up a good score is to work QSOs in pairs on one
frequency. It takes some getting used to if you haven't done it
before.

So, set up two exchange buffers - one for each of the two
exchange styles above.

73 Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com