[WriteLog] Windows 2000 adviseability

Keith Regli keith@kregli.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:08:21 -0500

If Win 98 works for you there is no meaningful advantage to going to Win 2K.
I think it is a "better" operating system, but most of the better part is
irrelevant to what most users need.  In fact, you'll lose the parallel port
as an option for communicating with WriteLog.  I usually run Win 2K on my
WriteLog machine and it works fine, but I run Win 98 on other machines and
they work fine.

If you do "upgrade" you'll find it really isn't an upgrade.  Where Win 98
replaced Win 95, Win 2K is simply a separate installation and you will have
to reload most of your software from scratch.  I'd start with a new hard
drive and lots of patience.  It's also great to have an alternate machine
that allows you access to the Internet to get missing drivers.  At work we
make software that has to run on all versions of Windows and Mac, including
about a dozen language localizations.  The differences at the application
level between versions of Windows are pretty minimal.

You also might want to be aware of Win XP which is coming down the pike.
Beta versions have been coming out for several months now to the general
development community.  I haven't tried WriteLog on it, but compatibility is
one of the big issues so I expect it to work without any trouble.

Keith WB6BIG
www.kregli.com
keith@kregli.com